Habersham Co. - With summer right around the corner for Habersham County students, the Habersham County School System plans on providing meals to students throughout the summer.
The Habersham County School System has provided meals to thousands of students throughout the school’s closures due to COVID-19. “Over 130,000 meals have been distributed to the children of Habersham County since March 17th,” according to Nutrition Director Andrea Thomas. “The nutrition department anticipates serving approximately 50,000 more meals prior to May 22nd when the school year ends.”
These employees are not going unnoticed either.
“Forty dedicated school nutrition employees have worked tirelessly each day to provide a hot meal for lunch and a breakfast for the following day to many children,” Thomas said. “These employees are definitely some of our hometown heroes during these unprecedented times.”
The School Nutrition Department will provide a summer meal program to any child 18 years or younger. The program is set to begin on June 1 and will continue until July 23.
“The Habersham County School System recognizes that the current situation in our community has resulted in additional needs for meal support for many Habersham County children,” Thomas said. “In response to this need, the summer meals program will be greatly expanded this summer to include 13 sites for drive-thru meal pickup.”
Meals will be available Monday through Thursday of each week. Thursday’s meal will include a meal for Friday. Meals will not be provided the week of May 25 to give the nutrition program time to plan and prepare for the summer program. As in years past, meals will not be provided on July 1 or 2 to allow school nutrition workers time with their families over the holiday weekend and for closing out the fiscal year.
Drive-thru meal service will be available beginning June 1st at the following locations:
School Drive-Thru Locations – meals available Monday – Thursday at times indicated:
• Baldwin Elementary 12:05 – 12:25
• Cornelia Elementary 11:30 – 12:30
• Clarkesville Elementary 11:30 – 12:30
• Demorest Elementary 11:30 – 12:30
• Fairview Elementary 11:15 – 11:35
• Hazel Grove Elementary 11:45 – 12:05
• Level Grove Elementary 11:45 – 12:05
• Woodville Elementary 12:20 – 12:40
Community Drive-Thru Locations - meals available Monday – Thursday at times indicated:
• Old Ingles Parking lot, Clarkesville 11:10 -11:30
• Meadowbrook Community Laundry, 830 W. Airport Road, Baldwin 11:10 – 11:30
• Whispering Woods Community, 230 Wayside Street, Cornelia 11:40 – 12:00
• Alto Baptist Church, 210 BC Grant Road, Alto 12:45 – 1:00
• Grier Peach Orchard, 173 Herring Mill Road, Alto 12:20 – 12:40