Family Loses Everything Due to Late Night Fire

Habersham Co. - A pregnant woman of 32 weeks is among the two residents who lost their home late last night due to a fire.

“Last night at roughly 10:36 p.m. we received a call for a report of a structure fire in the 100 blocks of Mack Eller Road,” says Habersham Emergency Services Director Chad Black.

Black continues, saying “Units responded immediately and arrived roughly nine minutes later to find a single wide modular home fully involved in fire.”

“The two occupants that were there were able to get out of the home,” Black notes.

Black claims that when emergency services arrived, “We went into defensive mode and set up a water shuttle.” He continues, saying “The only exposure we had was a propane tank we had to keep cool that was in the area of the fire.”

No injuries were reported, however, Black tells WCHM that, “One female on the scene who was 32 weeks pregnant, was having some contractions. Our units checked her out, she refused transport but did go to the hospital by public vehicle, just to be checked out.”

When asked about her status as of Noon, Nov. 11, Black says “She was released later. Everything was okay.”

“None of the occupants that were there had any insurance and lost everything they had in the fire,” Black tells WCHM. “Red Cross was called to assist them and then we’re trying to help in other ways, in specific needs they have.”

“It’s unknown at this time. It’s still under investigation. Of course, everything was destroyed so it’s really hard to, with the fire is that heavily involved, they’re still trying to pinpoint the cause,” Black says.