Habersham Co. - In honor of National School Bus Safety Awareness Week, Habersham County students had the opportunity to participate in a School Bus Safety Poster Contest.
Transportation Coordinator Stephanie Walker presented the winners at the Monday Board of Education meeting and made a note of how important this contest is to raise awareness about school transportation safety.
“From each and every one of our staff, from office staff, to bus drivers, to diesel mechanics, to bus monitors, we want you to know how imperative it is that our number one focus be the safety of our students,” Walker tells the board and audience.
Walker goes on to state that “Each year, the state of Georgia sponsors a School Bus Safety Poster Contest where all students within the state can compete for top honors.”
Each first-place winner will be submitted to the state level for further judging.
“I want to express how thankful we are that so many schools participate in this contest and how amazing our students are,” Walker says with excitement.
Each category is divided by grades.
The winners are as follows:
- Division 1 (K - 2):
- 1st: Josie Sarbon, 2nd Grade, Hazel Grove Elementary
- 2nd: Trinity Nicholson, 1st Grade, Hazel Grove Elementary
- 3rd: Stella Morris, 2nd Grade, Clarkesville Elementary
- Division 2 (3 - 5):
- 1st: Lilly Bien, 4th Grade, Woodville Elementary
- 2nd: Noel Haynes, 4th Grade, Clarkesville Elementary
- 3rd: Gavin Leenman, 4th Grade, Hazel Grove Elementary
- Division 4 (Special Needs):
- 1st: Liam Tench, 9th Grade, HCHS
- 2nd: Jeremiah King, 9th Grade, HCHS
- 3rd: Daniel Vega, 10th Grade, HCHS