At around ten A-M Friday morning, the city of Clarkesville announced the boil water advisory for the area of Hwy. 115 and Rennie Hames Road has been lifted.
“Boil water advisory for affected areas has been lifted,” said a notice sent out by the city.
The area had been under the advisory since late morning on Tuesday while workers installed a new line tie-in. The city previously had announced the work would be complete by seven P-M Wednesday evening but things took longer than expected.
Service has also been restored in Demorest for those who were affected by last weekend's storm. Water is safe for consumption and all Demorest and Clarkesville water customers may resume normal use. The advisory was issued earlier this week as a precaution against possible contamination after multiple water lines broke when roads collapsed from what Habersham County Manager Phil Sutton said was unprecedented flooding.
“I’ve talked to people in their 70s and 80s and they don’t recollect anything worse than this so it’s a bad one,” Sutton said.
Water is now safe for consumption and all Demorest and Clarkesville water customers may resume normal use.