2 Injured in Structure Fire, 3 Escape Uninjured

Habersham Co. - Two individuals were injured in a house fire Wednesday morning, May 6. 

Emergency personnel was called at approximately 12:20 a.m. for a reported structure fire at 1483 Yonah Post Rd. 

“Initial reports were elderly female who was handicapped was still inside the residence and attempting to get her out,” Habersham County Emergency Services Director Chad Black said. “HCES Engines 12, 14, Tanker 13, Medics 12 and 21, Battalion 1, Captain 1 and Lee Arrendale Fire responded on the initial alarm.”

Black noted that Habersham County Sheriff’s Office was first to arrive on the scene and reported a working fire and that all individuals were out of the structure.

“HCES units arrived and immediately requested HCES Tanker 17, Baldwin Fire Engine 4 and Banks County Tanker 5 for personnel and water due to no hydrants in the immediate area,” Black said. 

Black went on to say that of the approximately 2500 sq. ft. structure, 70% of it was involved in the fire. “Personnel took a defensive operation due to percentage of fire and structure deemed unsafe for offensive operations,” Black said.

All five people that were inside during the incident were able to make it out. 

One female occupant, due to smoke inhalation, and one male occupant, due to minor burns, were transported to Northeast Georgia Medical Center. The 3 other occupants were not injured and required no medical assistance.

‘Multiple explosions occurred during the fire, one from a 20 lb. propane cylinder that was located on the front porch that was subsequently launched into the wooded area due to direct flame impingement, oxygen cylinders, and ammo that was inside the residence also contributed to the explosion sounds, and some initial unsafe conditions for emergency personnel,” Black said. 

Red Cross was notified to respond, and State Fire Marshall’s Office will be notified to assist with the investigation, according to Black.

“At the present time there is no determination to cause of the fire,” Black said.

 Units remained on the scene for over five hours before returning to service.